Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): One Crazy Summer by Rita Williams-Garcia + 50/50 Friday





On Friday's I take part in three weekly link ups - The Friday 56, hosted by Freda's Voice, Book Beginnings, hosted by Rose City Reader, and 50/50 Friday is a new weekly link up and it is hosted by Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader and Laura @ Blue Eye Books. For The Friday 56, you choose a book, a book you have just finished, a book you are about to start, your current read, and share a line or a few lines that grab you (but don't spoil anything) from page 56 or 56% of the way through the ebook. Post it and share your post's url on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post. As for Book Beginnings, you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires, and then link up your post's url with Rose City Reader. Then, for 50/50 Friday, every week there's a new topic featuring two sides of the same coin - you share a book that suits each category and link up on the hosts blogs.


This week I'm spotlighting one of my current reads, One Crazy Summer by Rita Williams-Garcia.  This novel middle grade historical fiction novel will fulfill a task for Book Riot's 2017 Read Harder Challenge wherein all POV characters are POC.  I've had my eye on this award winner for awhile, so this is a perfect time to dive on in.   

Beginning:

Good thing the plane had seat belts and we'd been strapped in tight before takeoff.

56:

"You don't need me to walk down the street.  The park is on the other side.  Y'all can run around after breakfast or stay for the program at the Center.  It don't make me no difference."

50/50 Friday: Favorite/ Least Favorite Book Read In November


Least Favorite - Daughter of the Burning City by Amanda Foody - I actually DNF'd this on audiobook at about 30%.  It sounded exactly like something I'd love, but it didn't hold my interest.


Favorite - Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo - I actually had a few five star reads, for books that I finished in November, but this was my favorite of all of them by far.  I have no clue as to why I didn't read it sooner!  I'll need to get to Crooked Kingdom soon!

Have you read any of these books?  If so, did you end up enjoying them?  As always thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps commenting down below!

Comments

  1. I've seen One Crazy Summer around but never read it. I did read and enjoy Six of Crows but couldn't get into its sequel. This week I am featuring No Place Like You by Emma Douglas. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I new to check out some middle school/young adult books. Been a while for me. I'd love for you and your readers to check out mine . . . https://tinyurl.com/LisaKsBookReviewsCFF-HTHAS

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had Six of Crows on my shelf for about a year I also have the sequel..... I really need to read it.
    My Friday: Marie @ Pages to Explore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just picked up a copy of the sequel - and I need it! :)

      Delete
  4. I'm curious about One Crazy Summer! Six of Crows, not read that one yet. Now I wish I had lol

    Happy Friday!

    Here's what I #amreading : http://bit.ly/2AmBFfC

    Luv Sass
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Intrigued about One Crazy Summer! I need to start reading Leigh Burdugo's books soon!
    Here's myFriday Post

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these 50/50 posts. I adored SoC, but had not read the other book (though, my co-blogger really liked it).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you want to join up, Sam, feel free to jump in! :)

      Delete
  7. I know very few people who loved Daughter of the Burning City - I actually DNF'd it too. I also enjoyed Six of Crows, although I didn't love it. Great post!

    Tracy @ Cornerfolds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started noticing that from some of the reviews of Daughter of the Burning City myself...

      Delete
  8. Six of Crows is still on my TBR :( I can't wait to dive in!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Six of Crows.... I've still not read that one and I don't know why! I own it and it's something I can't wait to read but I just haven't picked it up yet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have not heard of One Crazy Summer, but I'm very intrigued. I'm so so so excited that you loved Six of Crows. Isn't the ensemble fantastic?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One Crazy Summer is about 6-7 years old now, but it's well worth picking up - a great MG historical.

      That ensemble is goals! :)

      Delete
  11. I seriously need to read Six of Crows sometime soon! There are honestly so many books I want to read in the remainder of this year... I need to get going! Thanks for linking up, Lauren :)

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean - I've got so many to finish up before the year is out! :)

      Good luck, Laura!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows