Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): The Thin Man by Dashiell Hammett + 50/50 Friday


Welcome to The Friday 56, a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice.

These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.


I'm also taking part in Book Beginnings, a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader.  The rules are pretty simple - you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires.  Don't forget to link up your post's url with Rose City Reader.


This week I'm spotlighting one of my current reads, The Thin Man by Dashiell Hammett.  I decided I needed a bit of a change of pace from my usual fare, so I decided to go with this classic mystery to break things up.  I love the funny crime mystery movie series starring William Powell and Myrna Loy as Nick and Nora Charles, so I'm really looking forward to checking out the source material!


Beginning:

I was leaning against the bar in a speakeasy on Fifty-second Street, waiting for Nora to finish her Christmas shopping, when a girl got up from the table where she had been sitting with three other people and came over to me.  She was small and blonde, and whether you looked at her face or at her body in powder-blue sports clothes, the result was satisfactory.  "Aren't you Nick Charles?" she asked.

56:

"Did you know she'd done a jail sentence in Cleveland on a badger-game charge?"



This week I'm also taking part in a brand new linkup called 50/50 Friday, which is hosted by Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader and Laura @ Blue Eye Books.  Every week they'll have a new topic featuring two sides of the same coin - this week the topic is Best/ Worst Book Read In February.

Best: Both of these graphic novel series continue to keep me hooked!  I can't believe I'm actually caught up on Saga.



Saga, Volume 5 by Fiona Staples and Brian K. Vaughan


Saga, Volume 6 by Fiona Staples and Brian K. Vaughan


Chew, Volume 9: Chicken Tendersby John Layman and Rob Guillory

Worst:



The Apartment by S.L. Grey - This was billed as horror, but after listening to the audiobook I definitely wouldn't call it that at all.  It's extremely slow building suspense with a few eerie bits and some mystery elements.  The story never delivers and I couldn't get into any of the characters.

Comments

  1. I just watched The Thin Man recently and I agree that they are excellent movies - so funny. I never thought about reading the book though - I enjoyed the beginning - here's my Friday meme

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need to rewatch them! :)

      Thanks for sharing, Maria.

      Delete
  2. I love the look of The Thin Man, and those gifs - so funny!!! S.L Grey sounds a little too much like E.L. James, so I'll give that a skip.

    Today I'm sharing an oldie - 1984 by George Orwell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't help but imagine Powell and Loy while I'm reading! :)

      Thanks for visiting, Bev!

      Delete
  3. The Thin Man looks pretty interesting. I haven't heard of it before so thanks for mentioning the book. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Thin Man was a series I never watched, but I was always curious. Dashiell Hammett is also an author I've been wanting to read. Thanks for sharing.

    Here's mine: “A SEPARATION”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved reading his book The Maltese Falcon so I have high hopes for this!

      Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  5. Hey Lauren! Long time no "see"! Long story, will chat about it at later stage.

    Loved your post! Had a fun giggle now! The thin man and your gifs are the right "shares" to start a fun weekend. Thanks for sharing!

    Will look into the new meme (50/50) and will try to take part next week.

    Happy weekend and here's my Friday Meets: http://marelithalkink.blogspot.co.za/2017/03/friday-meets-03-march-2017.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome back, Mareli!

      Good way to start it off right!

      I hope you join up - the more the merrier!

      Delete
  6. I've watched a Thin Man movie or two, but I've never read the books. Thanks for sharing with us! I'd love for you and your readers to check out my BB and 56 . . . http://tinyurl.com/LisaKsBookReviewsRTD

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I read this one years ago. It might be time for a revisit. This week I am featuring Justice Calling by Annie Bellet. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw the movie years ago but never read the book. I hope you love it! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I have always wanted to read Dashiel Hammett, I hope you are enjoying it!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read The Maltese Falcon before and I've enjoyed that one!

      Thanks for visiting, Stormi!

      Delete
  10. I love the old Nick and Nora Charles movies, so I know I'd like reading The Thin Man. I'm adding it to my TBR list.
    My Friday post features The Other Daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't go wrong with them! :)

      Thanks for sharing, Sandra!

      Delete
  11. I recently came across and watched The Thin Man. What a coincidence. Never read the book though.

    My Friday 56 from Through Glass

    ReplyDelete
  12. Some interesting looking books. Have a great weekend.
    sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Sherry! I hope you do the same. :)

      Delete
  13. Thin Man! Great book, great movie! Great choice!

    Thanks for posting on BBOF!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Everyone raves about Saga! I need to just break down and start that series.
    Thanks for linking up!

    Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooo graphic novels! I've only read one in my life and I didn't really like it but Saga sounds like it may be better suited for me. I'll have to find time to pick one up! Thanks for linking up, Lauren!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows