Skip to main content

Paranormalcy (Paranormalcy #1) by Kiersten White - Review


❋ ❋ 

Evie, a normal teen, works for the IPCA, International Paranormal Containment Agency, her best friend is a mermaid, her ex is a faerie, and she's falling for a shapeshifter. Really, though, she isn't exactly normal because she is the only person in the world who can see through paranormal glamours. And, she just might be at the center of the faerie prophecy that promises to destroy all paranormal creatures.

Paranormalcy is a unique young adult urban fantasy novel that has quite a few things going for it. I especially enjoyed White's take on classic fantasy characters and design of Evie's world. Both Reth and Lend are my two favorites from the novel. Unfortunately Evie, our leading lady, while fun and kick-butt, grated on my nerves after awhile. Her character sometimes sounds just a little too immature, but maybe I'm just a little bit too old for some of her nonsense. Overall, Kiersten White's Paranormalcy is fun and entertaining and the author does a pretty good job of creating a paranormal world that stands out from the rest. Eventually, I definitely plan on tackling the sequel, Supernaturally.

By the way, was it just me or did anyone else imagine The Gentleman with the Thistledown Hair from Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell when it came to Reth?



I listened to this audiobook from July 26 - 31, 2016 and my review is also on Goodreads.

Comments

  1. I read this one a while ago and remember not being to blown away by it. It just seemed childish at the time? Which is funny because I was just a child when I read it haha. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was fun, but it was definitely childish... :)

      Delete
  2. I'm always hit or miss when it comes to Kiersten White's books, but this one sounds really entertaining and fun. :) Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous review! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Zoe! I'm really looking forward to And I Darken.

      Delete
  3. I remember having a lot of fun reading this trilogy. While I don't remember a lot of it, I completely understand where you are coming from about Evie. She does get a lot better in the next too books though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't heard of this one, but saw it was the author of And I Darken (which has been buzzing) and was interested to see what this book is about. The premise is certainly interesting, thanks for the review!

    Liselle @ Lunch-Time Librarian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm looking forward to And I Darken - it sounds like it will be quite different.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows