Skip to main content

Lockdown (Escape From Furnace #1) by Alexander Gordon Smith - Review


❋ ❋ ❋ ❋ 

Alex is framed for murdering his best friend and is sent to Furnace Penitentiary. Furnace is a deep underground, supermax prison, primarily for underage offenders. Once you get sent to Furnace you will never come out alive. And chances are high that your lifespan will be dramatically lowered as an inmate what with the vicious guards, murderous gangs of fellow inmates, and horrific monsters that could steal you away in the dead of night. Still, Alex hopes for the impossible - that he'll find a way to escape some way or another.

Lockdown is a fantastic beginning to a new series and I couldn't read it fast enough! It's dark and brutal, yet also peppered through with hope and humor. The world-building in terms of the prison itself is very interesting and the characters are all fantastic to read. For me, Donovan is the standout member of the cast. After that cliffhanger, I can't wait to get my hands on the rest of the series! If you haven't read Lockdown by Alexander Gordon Smith and you enjoy anything by Darren Shan, this might be right up your alley!

And may I just ask:



I read this from October 24 - 31, 2014 and my review is also on Goodreads.  This was the only book I was able to read in time for the Thrills and Chills #ReadingCram.

Comments

  1. Great review! I stopped reading this book about 30% because I was dying to start another book at the time, but I NEED to finish it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows