Skip to main content

55 Quirky Questions for Readers


I've seen this survey, which originated from The Literary Lollipop, on a few blogs lately and I liked the look of it so I thought I would take part as well.

1. Favorite childhood book?

Corduroy by Don Freeman

2. What are you reading now?

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas and Mrs Hudson's Diaries: A View from the Landing at 221B by Barry Cryer & Bob Cryer.

3. What books do you have on request at the library?

Zero at the moment.

4. Bad book habit?

Does buying too many count?

5. What do you currently have checked out at the library?

I have two books out on Playaway (my favorite audiobook format): Fire Storm by Andrew Lane and The Serpent's Shadow by Rick Riordan.

6. Do you have an e-reader?

No, but I do have the Kindle app for PC.

7. Do you prefer to read one book at a time, or several at once?

I usually have two or three going at once, like an audiobook and a hard copy.

8. Have your reading habits changed since starting a blog?

They haven't really, but I generally tend to read broadly.

9. Least favorite book you read this year?

Most recently that would be The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker - I couldn't even finish it.

10. Favorite book I've read this year?

There have been quite a few, but right about the top of my list would be All My Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill.

11. How often do you read out of your comfort zone?

Every now and again I'll try to.

12. What is your reading comfort zone?

I love fantasy and sci-fi - definitely my comfort zone!

13. Can you read on the bus?

I don't ride one any more, but when I was in school I loved reading on the bus!

14. Favorite place to read?

Comfy recliner or a lawn chair outside.

15. What's your policy on book lending?

I don't do this as often as I did, but usually we would agree on a certain time frame.  Basically, as long as it came back in the condition I lent it out in I would be happy.

16. Do you dogear your books?

I did when I was young and didn't know any better.  Now, though, I never do.

17. Do you write notes in the margins of your books?

If it's a textbook, I might.  Otherwise, I'll most likely make a note on a post-it.

18. Do you break/ crack the spine of your books?

I try not to!

19. What is your favorite language to read?

English - I know some French and a bit of Japanese, but not enough to read at the pace I like.

20. What makes you love a book?

Characters, world-building, realistic dialog, etc...

21. What inspire you to recommend a book?

Most likely it's going to be something that I absolutely love, or a book that I think deserves more attention.

22. Favorite genre?

Fantasy - easy.

23. Genre you rarely read (but wish you did)?

I can honestly say I wish I read more non-fiction.

24. Favorite biography?

I love My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell (has anyone else seen the fantastic 2005 tv movie?)Have,  The Notorious Benedict Arnold by Steve Sheinkin, and Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi.

25. Have you ever read a self-help book (and was it actually helpful)?

I can't recall ever having read one...

26. Favorite cookbook?

I do like The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook by Dinah Bucholz - I can make a mean Pumpkin Pasty!

27. Most inspirational book you've read this year (fiction or non-fiction)?

Living a Life That Matters: From Nazi Nightmare to American Dream by Ben Lesser - easy.

28. Favorite reading snack?

Honey wheat pretzels!

29. Name a case in which hype ruined your reading experience?

Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick and Fallen by Lauren Kate.  Neither lived up to the hype one bit in my opinion.

30. How often do you agree with a critic about a book?

Sometimes...I might love a book the critics didn't care for or I might hate a book the critics loved.  I'm usually like this with movies, too.

31. How do you feel about giving bad/ negative reviews?

I usually try to focus more on what I liked about a book, but sometimes I can get on a good rant.

32. If you could read in a foreign language, which language would you choose?

Japanese, Swedish, Welsh, or Irish.

33. Most intimidating book I've ever read?

Two that spring to mind immediately are The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand and Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy.

34. Most intimidating book I'm too nervous to begin?

Definitely War and Peace by Tolstoy!

35. Favorite poet?

John Keats, William Wordsworth, William Shakespeare, Langston Hughes, Emily Dickinson, William Blake, T. S. Eliot, Walt Whitman, and Edgar Allan Poe.

36. How many books do you have checked out from the library at any given time?

At least 4 or 5...

37. How often do you return books to the library unread?

Very rarely.

38. Favorite fictional character?

There are so many, but I'm going with Hermione Granger!  If I could choose one more I would say Sherlock Holmes.

39. Favorite fictional villain?

Moriarty or Lord Voldemort!

40. Books I'm most likely to bring on vacation?

Fantasy or sci-fi.

41. The longest I've gone without reading?

I would say college, but I was an English Lit major so that's not quite right, but I what I would read for courses may not have been items I would have chosen myself.

42. Name a book you could not/ would not finish?

Most recently that would be The Age of Miracles, I was really looking forward to it but ended up just giving up after 50-some pages.

43. What distracts you easily when you're reading?

That will most likely be the tv.

44. Favorite film adaptation of a novel?

The Harry Potter films, the Lord of the Rings series, To Kill a Mockingbird, and most recently The Hunger Games: Catching Fire.

45. Most disappointing film adaption?

I've only seen the trailer, but I was sorely disappointed by Vampire Academy.  Otherwise, I'm disappointed in The Great Gatsby (1974) with Robert Redford and The Time Traveler's Wife.

46. Most money I've ever spent in a bookstore at one time.

$75

47. How often do you skim a book before reading it?

Almost never.

48. What would cause you to stop reading a book halfway through?

There could be multiple reasons, but a major one would be if the characters aren't doing anything for me.

49. Do you like to keep your books organized?

Yes, but currently I've got them wherever there's space.  Usually that means I've got them organized by date of purchase.

50. Do you prefer to keep books or give them away once they've been read?

It depends on how much I liked it and if I ever plan to read it again in the future.

51. Are there any books you've been avoiding?

The 50 Shades of Grey books ... well, actually, I read through the first like 30ish pages of the first one.  Didn't bother to read any further - I had lots of better books I could have been reading so why would I want to waste my time.

52. Name a book that made you angry?

Those first 30 some pages of 50 Shades of Gray, Hush, Hush, the Twilight books, etc, etc...

53. A book I didn't expect to like but did?

Immortal City by Scott Speer

54. A book I expected to like but didn't?

The Age of Miracles

55. Favorite guilt-free guilty pleasure reading?

Urban fantasy or YA

Comments

  1. Surveys are so much fun, I'm glad you're reading Throne of Glass at the moment! I hope you enjoy it, regardless of all of the hype! (The series is awesome and gets better with each book). I really liked All Our Yesterdays as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Regardless of all the hype, I am absolutely loving it! Thanks for stopping by again!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows