Skip to main content

Splintered (Splintered #1) by A. G. Howard - Review

Splintered (Splintered, #1)


❋ ❋ ❋ ❋ 

I love a good fairy-tale retelling and the darkly twisted Wonderland of Splintered is definitely worth checking out! Well, it's not exactly a retelling because it uses Alice's return to the real world as its jumping off point. It follows Alyssa, the great-great-great-granddaughter of Alice Liddell, who's worried she's going insane (all of the other women in her family have going back to Alice. To keep it short, she realizes that she isn't and needs to go down the rabbit hole back to Wonderland to break the curse of insanity. I loved the allusions to Carroll's original text and the dark, and at times, frightening reality of Wonderland from Alyssa's point of view; as a 7 year old Alice couldn't make too much sense of what she was seeing. The big reveal was excellent and I didn't see it coming at all. I also really liked the cover which really fits the tone of the story. I highly recommend Splintered and I eagerly await the sequel, Unhinged!


I read this from November 29 - December 2, 2013 and my review is also on Goodreads.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows